Friday, July 18, 2014

Mixed Tape Side A quilt top

DSC_1087edit

I cannot believe how long it has taken me to actually turn these blocks into a quilt top.  I received all of these blocks as part of the 4x5 modern quilt bee, from various hives, and I'm embarrassed to say that these blocks started rolling in in October of 2011 that's almost 3 years ago!  Yikes, well I suppose better late than never, but I'm really kicking myself that  I didn't do it sooner, because I am LOVING this quilt top!  The colors are just so calm and serene.

DSC_1090edit

This quilt top came together completely on a whim.  I finally had the urge to sew something, and instead of pulling fabrics and starting something new, I just wanted to sew NOW.  Enter entire closet full of WIP projects in various stages of completeness.  I actually have about 6 bins of various bee blocks that are in need of sewing together, and these ones were speaking to me.  So I literally just threw them up on my design wall and started sewing the blocks together.

DSC_1096edit

If I wanted to be picky, I probably should have spent a little time nit picking over the layout, making sure the more dense color blocks were interspersed better with the blocks with more negative space, but I sort of love the randomness and how all the blocks really play nice with one another regardless.

DSC_1109edit

Nora totally gives this two thumbs up, or at least a quick wave hello while she's practicing her mad crawling skills.

DSC_1092edit

I have grand plans to turn this eventual quilt into a mad quilt bee block extravaganza, so we'll see how that turns out.  I dug into another bee block bin and started throwing blocks up on my design wall to get sewing for a quilt back (hint hint, for Side B).  Nothing better than a reversible quilt, and one made from more than 30 quilty friends?  Just awesome.

DSC_1116edit

Yes Nora, I agree that this quilt top rocks.  Girls got good taste at 9 months old, I tell you!






4 comments:

  1. I see my block! I haven't sewn mine together yet, so you're ahead of me. Nora is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, those colours are beautifully serene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad bee block extravaganza .... you have my full attention! This came out fantastic, I can't wait to see what you do with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love the bee block extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete